Monday 23 July 2012





Jo Blogs...
Personal Coast


The lure of the coast- why do we always come back to the edge of the land to worship the sea?



  As a teenager I remember the pure joy of living on baguettes and chocolate milk for two weeks in Cap Ferat, sleeping beneath pine-groves – that is, until the gastric ulcer took hold. The mistrals at night were terrorising. Where the day was scorching lazy, and positive, at night everything not nailed-down would shoot past you, bin-lids, rubbish, metal fences! Then, the same paradise becomes a scary clanging windy hell – too simple, nature too near.

We seem to be drawn at the extremes of life to the lands edge – old people cluster on rainy boardwalks to glimpse eternity, and children dig all day within sight of endless waves.
Some distinct coastlines, snapshots real and imagined: The Croatian coastline  - we found bombed out concrete shelters with nappies burst in the woods, past steel shipping containers used as homes for soldiers, and now poor people – to arrive at the beach as we expect them, sunbathers, holiday-makers, but also a kind of apartite beween Russian bars and the local ones – the Russian bars with pounding disco beats in the middle of the day and leering gangsters with gold bracelets sitting at the bar.



There are coasts I have never seen but feel I own a part of - the fantasy of the new England coast, the Isle of White which I feel calling me;
I do remember childhood visits to truly stunning beaches on the north Scottish coast, empty for miles and miles with just the cry of a corn-crake above; 


Fleeing heatwave-London in the big burn of 1995, to spend 6 months on the unspoiled Donegal coast – where the never ending wind in your head makes people, well,  a bit ‘out-there!’


I can go way back in my coastal journey to Polpero, Cornwall in  1973 –ants as big as your whole thumb, humming birds, and tropical plants – had we passed through a vortex that took us to not-England? – this was so exotic;
Suffolk – the absolute dream of Aldeburgh, one of the purest landscapes I had ever seen, at a pure time of life – Malcolm, my mentor at drama school took us out of rehearsal and on a train, to the beach, to experience the magic of the east coast light, as we were doing a play set on America’s east coast – he died young not long after we came back, but his spirit, the belief that quality is out there to be discovered, of which the coast there has been a reminder  -  has never left me;


An awakening of sorts – Port Merrion in the epic summer of 1982 where ‘the Prisoner’ was filmed – I remember it was during the Falklands war, the country was sending harrier jump-jets to a distant coastline while the family watched on the telly, and I made-do with assignations beneath the belltowers during a rain-shower.


Sleeping on the beach, never as good as it sounds, I thought – cold and exposed, and sometimes chased off by guards.
I would like to explore more beach huts of the world, it seems the greatest thing to have your house right at the shoreline.



Devon putsborough sands – where we had years of early holidays, East beach cafĂ©, Littlehampton – a hop skip away from the big smoke, stylish architecture, seaside on a plate





Certain magic places – I always wanted to try out Dungeness-bombed bleakness, nuclear power lights glowing over the shingle. But I’ve never been.

We lived near the sea in Dublin, a huge smile of a bay that has industrial striped chimneys overlooking it, and Joyces’ Martello towers, stunted, wartlike defenses against napoleon when Dublin was Englands Cap Ferat – and the celebrated kick-off point of Ulysses’ hero. I canoed around freindly seals, and nothing could do better to round of your day than that, and a pint.

Arriving  in a huge storm, as flooding waves were coming over the seawall – Christmas day, driving the car round the beach in crazy patterns – feeling like escapees, but the other side of running off to the coast  is desolation.

                                                                  (west wittering)


 I remember my first holiday alone, experiencing solitariness for the first time, wading through chest high water and looking out for miles over the glassy Aegean sea.

I can’t see I will ever tire of the coasts, there always seem to be more that come into focus, that Ive heard about  - there are murmurs of somewhere everyone likes in Norfolk, and I shall have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment